Sunday, October 01, 2006

Imagine me and you...

It's been a long time for me to post... You know... as much as people do this "blog-thing" you always wonder who's readin'. It starts out as just a little thing to share information with people--to wondering how many people are viewing--to wondering IF people are viewing--to... don't really care if people are viewing, because it's nice to write this stuff down. Anyone else feel like that?

Today is the BIG DAY... actually tomorrow (2nd) is the big day! Tomorrow starts the first OFFICIAL day of basketball practice. Although it may look like I'm holding it all in together pretty good... I'm actually pretty scared to death! This is an opportunity that I've been waiting for for so long... it's here... and I wish I knew how things were going to turn out.

I think it's interesting, though, that in my small group at church that it was my turn to lead the study and discussion for a book we're doing, If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat, (I know that there should be capital letters and such but I'm too lazy to do it). In this week's lesson we look at the opportunity of the rich man who gives the 5 tallents, 2 tallents, and 1 tallents (tallent may be with 1 'l" but I'm on a roll here) and the opportunity these 3 guys had. This man GIVES them this money... this gift... and wants to see what they will do with it. Will they take advantage of this "gift" and make something happen? 2 of them do... this is an incredible opportunity for these men and I'm sure that they're excited and thrilled and they DOUBLE this gift. And the rich man praises them for it... I see this guy with a huge smile on his face and just really proud of these 2. The 3rd guy... is a little scared... he's not sure about the realities that are around him... he's afraid of taking this gift and losing it all. So what does he do? He burries it. And when the rich man finds out... he can only shake his head and say, "I GAVE this to you... no strings attached... a GIFT... and you let FEAR of the unknown result get in the way of your happiness with this FREE GIFT!

I share all that to say... I'm feel that I've been the 3rd man for the last few weeks. Yes, I've enjoyed what I've done and I've worked hard with the girls and we've had some good off-season workouts. BUT... God has given me this GIFT of coaching and interacting with young people... WHAT AM I DOING WITH IT?!??!?!?!? Am I making more out of that... and doubling the amount? Or am I going to let my FEAR of FAILURE get in the way and just bury this gift that he's giving me?

THIS IS A LIFE CHANGING LESSON FOR ME! I'M GOING TO BE THE FIRST GUY FROM HERE ON OUT!!!!!! :-)

Just had to share...

Mike

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mike--

I think of the talents as the amount of responsibility that God has given each of us. Teaching and coaching are very similar in that its a seed planting profession and we can't know the results for many years--read decades--of the work we have done. I know this because I'm just a little further down the road in the biz--closing in on 30 years now. Anyway, I encourage you to let God "raise you up" and for you to just use the responsibilities as best you can--learning more each year and getting constantly better. Before long, you'll have earned the interest and doubled what you had. At least I have. I wouldn't want to sit in a class today with the professor I was back then--except as an object lesson in pain and suffering LOL! But I know that God has really taken the little stuff I had and made it much more that I could have ever imagined. Continue to give it to God and let him give the increase--that's the difference here. God will be the one who increases your talent. To get out of the boat means that you give everything you have to him--including this beautiful gift of coaching. Have no pride in any of the things you know about coaching--and rejoice only in the things you learn about your work as a result of the Holy Spirit's whispers to you each day. I am honored to be your brother and friend.

Many blessings,

David

ps my saga can be found at potterwheel.blogspot.com

Mike Morton said...

Thank you David... I appreciate your words of encouragement and your wisdom.

Anonymous said...

Mike,

David says it well in his comment. You obviously have talents and abilities as a coach. You show a real passion for the responsibility (note: I did not say job). You know what the team needs. All of this is good .....but.....God just wants you to trust in him. When Peter first got out of the boat, he didn't focus on the mechanics or science of walking on water - he just focused on Jesus. Jesus made it possible for him to successfully walk on the water. It was only when Peter let the mechanics / science of it all become his focus that he began to sink. God has given you this oportunity for a reason. Don't try to figure it out, just keep your focus on God and he will work it through you. If you will do that, God will provide the growth and 'interest'.

I have been impressed with your attitude, especially your humility. Continue to be one who leans on God and gives him the credit like you do. He wants people like you.