Friday, September 30, 2005

Thought-provoking Friday...

In our men's bible study on Tuesday, we've begun reading a book, "Running on Empty" by Fil Anderson (isn't that a strange way to spell "Fil"?). We have just started the introduction and the author asks us one question that really struck me, "what is the condition of your soul?" This was a question that was asked at a convention that he had attended with a friend of his. His response was that he really didn't know how to answer that question.

I immediately thought about... mowing lawns... hm... go figure that one. It's interesting how I take a lot of care in the people's lawns that I mow weekly... versus mine, which gets done about every 1.5 to 2 weeks. (Side note: I had a friend at PCWest who told me the same thing... he took better care of the baseball/softball fields there than his lawn at home--needless to say, he won "field of the year" 3 years and went to Greece and was on their field crew for the Olympic fields). Anyway... I thought that this idea of lawn care also fell into the "spiritual" care as well. I remember being at OCA last year and taking more care into the younger people's spiritual lives than my own. Now, I was blessed, uplifted, and encouraged by those kids and faculty there... but I don't feel that I took good care of my soul. I could take care of others (or so I thought), but didn't do a very good job of taking care of my own.

I think that this book is going to help me focus on the question of "what is the condition of my soul," by opening my eyes to God and what he has in store for my spiritual walk with him.

On a separate note... Deer Creek made the news last night (Thursday). Not in a very good way, though... some of the DC kids valdalized Piedmont's football field and did A LOT of damage to the stadium. Aught to be an interesting day at school today...

Hope everyone has a great week!

I'm going with my friend, Shane, to Stillwater to watch the OSU COWBOYS (you have to use your announcer-voice there or it just doesn't work right) play Colorado. Shane invites me to one game a year and we're getting this one in before Lindsay comes. We have so much fun, and I can't wait to go!

No comments: