Sunday, July 09, 2006

Here comes another one...

Ah the summer! This summer hasn't been one of your 'typical' Oklahoma summers as far as the weather goes... been rather mild... upper 80's to the upper 90's usually. But August is just right around the corner and that's when mother nature turns up her oven on us, but we'll see.

About 3 weeks ago I had a drive to complete a project. I was at my parents and went into my dad's office for something and on his wall is a really nice golf-ball display case of all the various courses that he's played at or been to. It is really nice and it holds quite a few golf balls... say around 70-80 or so. I have one too that I got for Xmas or a birthday a long while back ago and it's been full and has about 12 balls sitting on top of it. Needless to say, I needed a new one. Well, long story short (yea right... me and short stories) I decided to build myself one. I took wood shop in junior high and loved to build things... but today's educational system is really eliminating wood shop (sad). So using my 1980's knowledge and my keen sence of what I wanted it to look like, I drew out my plan of the case. I priced the wood that I wanted at Home Depot (have to support my stock) and purchased what I wanted for about $30... which is a lot cheaper than buying a case in a store. It took me about 4 days, but I did it! It holds 80 golf-balls... it's a cherry finish (I even did a finish on it) and put some green felt on the backing to make it look like it was done professionally. Anyway, here's the final product.




I'll cut this off for now... but will return with the 'one that got a way' tomorrow!

1 comment:

Shane Coffman said...

Isn't that feeling of accomplishment nice? Good job.

I'm celebrating changing out my dryer cord yesterday so we could finally plug in and use or dryer in the new house. No small feat for a paper-pusher like me...

I see the OSU ball. ;)